7 Easy Steps on How To Get Clear and Healthy Skin
I finally found the perfect skincare routine for my skin, and you have no idea how overjoyed I am about this! My skin has always suffered from painful breakouts, unending blemishes and dullness, and even though I've tried so many "good" skin care products to help with my skin issues, nothing has really made a difference. But last year, I was introduced to Memebox, and I'm confident to say that my skin has never look its best; some of you have even said so!
Today, I'm sharing with you the 7 steps I do in my skincare routine, as well as the products that have been lifesavers in my skincare journey! I blogged about my skincare routine a couple years ago, and a lot has changed since then- I started from 3 steps, but I like the number 7 better! 😂
DISCLAIMER: I have combination (oily & normal) skin. My skin type may differ from yours, and I'm sure that not all of the products I'm going to share with you today will work for you. I'm just sharing the skin care process that has worked for me, and the products that have been highly effective on my skin.
My skincare routine really starts at night, before I hop into bed. In the mornings, I usually just wash my face with warm water (to clean off my eye boogers), and put on my morning moisturizer. Any cream works for me, but the one that Jorge and I have been using lately is this one from Origins. It smells amazing, and it does a great job at keeping my skin hydrated throughout the day.
Now that we've got my morning routine out of the way, let's get into the 7 steps of my routine!
STEP 1 : MAKEUP REMOVAL
Sleeping with makeup still on your face is one of the worst things you could do to your skin. It can clog your pores and cause breakouts. Makeup removal is such a crucial step in anybody's skincare routine, and the one step that you shouldn't skip, ever! If you're somebody who's trying to have clear skin, make this step a habit! Sleeping with a clean face feels so good anyway, so why wouldn't you want to have that every night?
- BOTANIC FARM Grain Ferment Cleansing Sherbet* - This was sent to me by Memebox, and I have not stopped using it since the day I received it! This balm melts your makeup off like a dream, and it works even on waterproof mascara! I used to use coconut oil to remove my makeup, but I didn't like that I couldn't rinse it off with water, and it leaves a filmy residue on the sink! With Botanic Farm's Cleansing Sherbet, I could easily wash the gunk off of my face with warm water, and it leaves my sink clean as well! It doesn't sting my eyes, and my face feels clean and soft after every wash!
HOW TO USE: Massage on dry skin, then rinse off with lukewarm water.
STEP 2: CLEANSING
I could actually go straight to toning my face after step 1, but I like double cleansing just to ensure that I get all my makeup off.
- Su:m 37 Miracle Rose Cleansing Stick* - Got this one from Memebox as well, and I'm so happy that it's now a part of my life! This cleansing stick has fermented rose flower extracts that help wash away daily impurities of the skin. It's also safe to use around the eye area because it doesn't sting, and it doesn't make my skin dry afterwards. On days when I don't wear makeup, this is my step 1. If you are sensitive to rosy scents, you probably won't like this. But I remember, I used to hate the smell of roses too, but now, I've grown to like it! One more thing, I love using this cleansing stick with my Soniclear, which then leads me to step 3 which is...
STEP 3: EXFOLIATION
Exfoliating is key if you want to achieve that really smooth and radiant skin! This is something I didn't really do until last year, when Memebox sent me the
- Manyo Factory Active Refresh Herb Peel* to try out and review (watch review and demo here). I was seriously shocked the first time I used it because my skin felt unbelievably smooth! It really helped get rid of my dead skin cells, especially around my nose area. It also brightened up my face which is a plus! It's something that is supposed to be used 2-3 times a week.
- But nowadays, I use a tool that allows me to gently exfoliate my skin daily, which is my Soniclear from Michael Todd Beauty. This was sent to me by the company, and I've been using it for months now. I replaced the regular brush head with this one, and it has seriously changed my skincare game! It's extremely soft and gentle to use daily, even if you have sensitive skin. It has antimicrobial properties, it cleans out my pores, and at the same time exfoliates my skin. My skin feels extra supple every time I use my Soniclear Elite. To read more about this device, click here.
STEP 4: TONING
I'm sure by now, you see that most of the products I have mentioned are Korean beauty. Koreans know what they're doing, and I'm just glad that K-beauty works for my skin! Anyway, step 4 is toning! I like to think of this step as the sealing in of all the cleansing and exfoliating work I did on my face. It helps remove any leftover oil, dirt from your face, and it also soothes, nourishes and restores the pH balance of your skin.
- Nooni Root Energy Cleansing Water - This is my favorite one to use. One, it looks pretty. Two, it smells amazing that every time I use it, I feel refreshed! Three, it does a great job at wiping away any leftover makeup and dirt off my face. But you know what, because of steps 1-3, my cotton pad usually ends up staying clean when I tone my face. HAHA. I do put makeup on my neck though, and who the heck washes their necks at the sink (right?), so after I run the cotton pad all over my face, I swipe it across my neck to clean off my foundation. And four, the most important thing about this product, is its ability to balance the pH levels of my skin. Lastly, you can also use this as a makeup remover so hello, go get this already! *it is currently sold out on the Memebox website, but they have this product and hopefully, it's just as good!* Also PS: I bought this one with my own money haha
- Etude House Wonder Pore Freshner*- On days when I feel like my pores need extra cleaning, I go in with this toner. It does all the things you would want a toner would do, and for the price you pay, you get a lot of product! It claims to also minimize the appearance of pores, but honestly, I don't think I've used it enough to see that kind of result. I'll try to use it more regularly, but right now, the Nooni Cleansing Water is my number one bae!
STEP 5: APPLYING ESSENCES/SERUMS/MASKS
I learned the importance of adding this step into my routine only last year. I noticed that it really helps with keeping the texture of my skin soft and smooth.
For this step, I kind of switch around the products I use, depending on what my skin feels that day. On days when I need extra hydration, I use my Nourish Organic Recovery Night Serum*. On regular days, I use my Manyo Factory Essence. I seldom use face masks, but when I do, I truly enjoy the whole process of it, and my skin thanks me later.
- Manyo Factory Galactomyces Niacin Special Treatment Essence* - I know that's a mouthful, but let me elaborate on this product because I believe this is one of the key products that really helped clear out my skin! Like I said before, I suffered from acne scars and blemishes all my life. When I get a pimple, the scar stays there forever! But when I started using this product regularly, my skin tone evened out without me noticing it, that one day, I was just surprised to see that my skin looked so clear!
This essence consists of two key ingredients for better skin:
>> Galactomyces - moisturizes and protects skin from harmful rays
>> Niacinamide - targets acne scars, wrinkles, and dull skin
It's odorless, and the consistency of it is just like water. I use 3-4 drops for my entire face and that's more than enough. Now, when I do get a pimple, it dies almost immediately, and it doesn't leave a scar anymore!
STEP 6: APPLYING UNDER EYE CREAM
I cannot believe I forgot to take a solo shot of the eye cream that I'm using now! #SMH Anyway, eye creams are so important to me because I have really dark under eyes! I've always had them ever since I was little, and it's something I just kind of learned to live with. But that didn't stop me from finding a remedy for it!
You all know by now how much I love Kathleenlights, and if only I had dry skin, I would probably have all the products that she uses for her face by now. But I have combination skin, so I know that some of the stuff she uses probably won't work for me, but the eye cream that she swears by is literally heaven-sent. I've tried so many other kinds of "brightening" eye creams, but it's the only one that actually helped brighten up my tired eyes.
- Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Eye Concentrate - I'm currently out of it right now, so I'm using this one* instead, and after not using the Kiehl's one for a while, I noticed that my dark circles are coming back. My eyes have been looking more tired than usual and it only tells me one thing, the eye cream I am currently using doesn't work. Sorry IT Cosmetics, but you're just not that good. The Kiehl's Recovery Eye Concentrate does an excellent job at diminishing the appearance of fine lines while also reducing puffiness and dark circles. The only thing that sucks about it is the price tag! It's so expensive, and you only get 0.5 fl oz. of product, but because of its potency, I say it's worth it! It's just that I'm so cheap that paying $40 for it hurts me a little. Haha.
One more thing before I move on from this step, applying eye cream also helps make under eye concealer application look better. If you suffer from cakey looking under eyes every time you do your makeup, you probably aren't hydrating that very delicate part of your face. If you have really dry under eyes, use an eye cream that will provide hydration as well.
STEP 7: MOISTURIZING
The last step, but definitely not least, is MOISTURIZING! Whether you have dry, oily, normal, or combination skin, moisturizing is one of the most important steps in your skincare routine. You can skip steps 3-6, and your skin will still be okay, but skipping moisturizing should be a big no no in your book. Moisturizing in general means that you're locking in the moisture that your skin needs. A well-hydrated face looks healthy and radiant, and I know we all want that for ourselves.
But, it's also important that we use a moisturizer that fits our skin type. We should also consider the weather/climate and other components that can affect our skin. Like in the winter, my skin tends to be dry, so I make sure to use a heavier cream because I know it will provide extra hydration for my skin. In the summer, my skin tends to be really oily, so I try to, as much as possible, use lighter products like face lotions that also provide salicylic acids that will help keep my oils at bay. There are so many different products in the market right now, and with some research, I'm sure you'll find the perfect moisturizer for you. Below are a few of the ones I've been using:
- Origins GinZing™ Energy-Boosting Moisturizer* - This is the moisturizer I use in the mornings. I love how it smells, and it makes my skin radiant throughout the day! Jorge loves using this too! It's the only moisturizer he liked from all the ones I made him try out!
- La Mer Creme De La Mer Moisturizing Cream* - I know I've mentioned this before in one of my monthly favorites posts, but I legit feel like a queen every time I use this cream. I have been using it every night, and it's easily become my favorite part of the day. It smells so amazing, and the packaging feels luxurious! I have never owned a cream that is as heavy as La Mer's. It is a thick cream, which is perfect for the winter time, and for you ladies who have dry skin. HOW I USE IT: I scoop out a small amount into the palm of my hand, and I warm it up with my fingers. I then tap it into my skin.
- FOR THE LIPS: Skinfix Lip Repair Balm & IT Cosmetics Je Ne Sais Quoi Hydrating Lip Treatment* - I use the Skinfix Lip Repair Balm at night, and during the day, I like to use IT's Je Ne Sais Quoi because of the slight tint it gives my lips. They're both really great products that help prevent my lips from getting chapped, especially during the winter time because the winds can be pretty harsh! Windburns are ugly!
* products marked with an asterisk were sent to me, but as always, all thoughts are mine!
WHEW! THAT WAS QUITE A LOT OF INFORMATION!
If you read every single word, you're a trooper! If you want to see a few minutes of me doing my skincare routine, watch this video, then this video. Hopefully the videos give you a better idea on how my routine looks like in real life. :) Having a consistent skincare routine is imperative when you do want to achieve clearer and healthier skin! Don't get me wrong, I still get my lazy days, but as much as possible, I try to ALWAYS do these 7 steps because I know how bad my skin can be, and I don't really want to go back to those days. One more thing: a good makeup day starts with good skin. Having a great base for makeup makes makeup application so much more fun, trust me!
* * *
I know most of the products mentioned in this post were sent to me, but they legit made a huge difference on my skin! If not for the amazing brands that wanted me to try out their stuff, my skin wouldn't be looking the way it is now, so I'm so grateful to them!
Special thanks to Memebox for always collaborating with me! If not for their trust, and support for my channel, my skin would probably still look bad! Haha